Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Thruster® Retrogade Giveaway coming soon: 5/7

What's the function of the pin clip of shifter cable adjuster?
Hi,

I'm replacing my bike shifter's cables, and I found I lost one of the pin clip of the shifter cable adjuster.

My question is: What is it for? What function does it do? Do I really need it (buy a new set)?

Thank you.
(06-15-2023, 12:06 AM)Bob Fuji Wrote:  Hi,

I'm replacing my bike shifter's cables, and I found I lost one of the pin clip of the shifter cable adjuster.

My question is: What is it for? What function does it do? Do I really need it (buy a new set)?

Thank you.

I do not have that clip on my adjusters, but I think it is just to keep the position of the adjustment. You may notice that when you are adjusting the unit it has detents as you rotate it. If it is serving the purpose of retaining your adjustment then you may be able to use some teflon tape around the threads or some light duty thread locker to prevent it from changing position. You may not need it at all, but I assume if it was designed that way than it must serve a purpose.
Hopefully, someone else has first hand knowledge of that part.
Thank you very much. I will try not using it.

(06-15-2023, 12:17 AM)Sybian Wrote:  
(06-15-2023, 12:06 AM)Bob Fuji Wrote:  Hi,

Thank you.

I do not have that clip on my adjusters, but I think it is just to keep the position of the adjustment. You may notice that when you are adjusting the unit it has detents as you rotate it. If it is serving the purpose of retaining your adjustment then you may be able to use some teflon tape around the threads or some light duty thread locker to prevent it from changing position. You may not need it at all, but I assume if it was designed that way than it must serve a purpose.
Hopefully, someone else has first hand knowledge of that part.
The adjusters normally have some kind of spring mechanism that lock them in place so they don't move once you've set the tension. Normally, it's a coil spring inside the adjuster but I assume yours is a different design?

Possibly Related Threads...