Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

What tools have you bought recently?
I'm slowly eliminated all LBSes in my area as options for servicing, LOL.

The latest one has been struck off my list after watching, pained, their approach to removing the axle end caps from a hub with cartridge bearings.

Suffice to say, I finally ordered a blind bearing puller kit and a bearing press kit.

If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself!

Have you bought any nice tools lately?
(03-28-2024, 06:57 PM)enkei Wrote:  I'm slowly eliminated all LBSes in my area as options for servicing, LOL.

The latest one has been struck off my list after watching, pained, their approach to removing the axle end caps from a hub with cartridge bearings.

Suffice to say, I finally ordered a blind bearing puller kit and a bearing press kit.

Topeak Mini 9 Multi-Tool
Helped me through a lot of tricky situations
(03-31-2024, 01:38 PM)Talha Wrote:  
(03-28-2024, 06:57 PM)enkei Wrote:  I'm slowly eliminated all LBSes in my area as options for servicing, LOL.

Topeak Mini 9 Multi-Tool
Helped me through a lot of tricky situations

Mini 9 looks like great EDC. I pack the 18+

Thats why I could never let anyone else touch my bikes, I have always from day one been my own wrench, that is why I try to show people how to do it as much as I can.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Super B Tool Kit for basic bike repair, hex keys are pretty solid and price isn't too bad
(03-31-2024, 06:37 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  

Thats why I could never let anyone else touch my bikes, I have always from day one been my own wrench, that is why I try to show people how to do it as much as I can.

Last year I was away from home and my tools (except basic adjustment stuff) , and I needed to verify if an odd feeling while cranking hard was BB related or not. A shop could not even remove my BB (I could). Another shop was going to need 30 minutes or more just to take some play out of my rear hub axle (takes me 10 minutes). Of course that same shop wanted to sell me a new bike just because of a minor service need. Their single speed SUN brand beach cruisers were nearly S500 for a heavy low end machine; no cycling shoes to fit me (looked like the boxes were 10 years old!). I bought a used QR skewer and left never to return. 10 bike shops in a 3 mile radius and none could help me, but I could get a $50 pair of gloves! Too much lack of knowledge, lack of tools, and too much need to sell something new. 30 yrs ago another shop nearly destroyed my BB threads using the wrong tap to re-chase. As Painkiller stated learn to do your own work if you are serious about cycling. I bought my tool (park crank remover) about 43 years ago and never looked back when I realized how easy it is to work on the majority of bikes out there. I guarantee that my electrical/electronic knowledge is superior to those working on these new e-bikes. They are not going to troubleshoot and repair parts on those bikes, only replace parts that are probably rebuildable. I rebuilt electric AC and DC motors except for rewinding armature coils which is more of an industrial service, or for antique repairs. I think I might start rebuilding battery packs since (though I have yet to check) a new battery pack from the factory is probably hundreds of dollars to replace.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I just bought a Lezyne Torque Drive kit.

I was debating between that one and the Silca version, but the Silca scaling was strangely laid out and more difficult to get accurate with it, the Lezyne scaling was much better laid out. And as a bonus, the Lezyne was $75 cheaper.
Wag more, bark less

Possibly Related Threads...