Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Incomplete shifting with ST 4400 Shimano Tiagra
Hi guys,

I recently bought a pair of st4400's off the local forums where I live. Outward appearance wise, they look good for their age. The left shifter clicks twice, so thats good.

However, the right shifter clicks only 3-4 times before it stops clicking altogether. Being a 9 speed shifter I would expect it to hear 8 clicks before finally stopping. The shifter itself moves, but no clicking can be heard.

I have not installed this yet, although the seller insists that after installing and putting the shifter under tension everything will work out fine. Is he right? Should I proceed installing the shifter and praying for the best, or is this not going to end well at all?
You can test the shifter under tension if you have a cable inserted by merely pulling on the cable with your hand while shifting the lever. If it still does not click 8 times the shifter is indeed not working properly.
Definitely do not install; check it out as our friend from Syracuse suggests; if it is good, great.

If not, there is a good chance that a thorough flushing with solvent followed by light oil lubrication will take care of it. Some people have had good results with spraying a full can of TriFlow into them. Something that is best done off the bike. http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow-Superior-Lubricant-4oz-Aerosol/dp/B002EX5B6O/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1400514054&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=triflow

Others have suggested WD40; the problem with WD40 is that it leaves a sticky, not lubricious residue behind.
Nigel
(05-19-2014, 10:28 AM)cny-man Wrote:  You can test the shifter under tension if you have a cable inserted by merely pulling on the cable with your hand while shifting the lever. If it still does not click 8 times the shifter is indeed not working properly.

Thanks for your replies. I've indeed tested it - and the same thing repeats itself. The shifter goes through 3-4 gears, before failing to engage anything else. The shifter still moves, but just that it dosen't seem to be able to latch on to the next gear.

I've pretty much got a lemon haven't I?
have you tried flushing with solvent?
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...