Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Front Derailleur Won't Move

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
taylorj26 Offline

Front Derailleur Won't Move
Hi, I just recently got a used bike from a local store in my city and rode it a couple times noticing that the front derailleur won't move at all when I try to shift it with the left shifter. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to bike mechanics so please bare with me. I have been thinking about just taking it to a local bike shop but I really would like to fix it myself. I have adjusted the two limit screws to see if that fixed it but it still doesn't budge. Thank you for whoever can help me.
Sep 28, 2010 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nfmisso Online
Veteran Member

San Jose, CA
RE: Front Derailleur Won't Move
The cable is probably corroded. You can a replacement cable at your LBS, or even Wal-mart. Make sure you remove the metal cable from the housing, and lubricate the cable with a light grease. This will prevent it from corroding solid.

Nigel
Sep 28, 2010 09:41 PM
taylorj26 Offline

It doesn't look corroded though. The bike has barely been used by whoever else had it so it's still pretty new. Would corrosion be a pretty obvious thing to see when it comes to bike cables? Thank you for your time and your help.
Sep 28, 2010 10:25 PM
thebicyclenut Offline

Moultrie Georgia
(Sep 28, 2010 01:42 PM)taylorj26 Wrote:  Hi, I just recently got a used bike from a local store in my city and rode it a couple times noticing that the front derailleur won't move at all when I try to shift it with the left shifter. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to bike mechanics so please bare with me. I have been thinking about just taking it to a local bike shop but I really would like to fix it myself. I have adjusted the two limit screws to see if that fixed it but it still doesn't budge. Thank you for whoever can help me.

Try removing the cable from the front deraileur then pulling it back and forth through the housing, get some lube like "Cable Magic" and put that on the cable, then adjust the cable tension. also try lubing the deraileur. It could just be stuck and probably is if it hasn't been used for a long time. Looks can sometimes be deceiving, so clean and lube would be the first thing to do.

Then adjust the cable tension and then adjust the limit screws. Make sure the rear is correct before trying to adjust the front as you will need all the rear gears to make sure the front is working right.

There are numerous videos on youtube that will show you how to adjust the deraileur and the cable tension

Join me to discuss anything cycling at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-bicycle-nut
Sep 29, 2010 04:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trevgbb Offline

West Midlands UK
Did you check this before you bought it? if you bought from a LBS they will probably sort it for you.
If the FD will move if you push it by hand, it's the cable or the shifter.
If it won't move at all, it's rusted up, if it will but the shifter won't, check the shifter lever isn't fouling on anything, like the brake lever? and/or replace the cable and the outers as well.
In my opinion, you are usually wasting your time trying to free up rusted parts, replace them.
Sep 29, 2010 09:53 AM
Darrenjs92ni Offline

Northern Ireland
i had a problem on my bike were the outer cable's inside was catching on the inner cable, that didnt allow me to up gear.
Oct 5, 2010 08:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rear and front derailleurs won't shift tsila060 5 423 Jul 19, 2014 12:34 PM
Last Post: tsila060
  Derailleur or pulley? skyemc85 3 330 Jul 6, 2014 02:18 AM
Last Post: skyemc85
  Need help fixing rear derailleur Madhu 9 669 Jul 2, 2014 11:51 AM
Last Post: Madhu
  Schwinn Jaguar Rear Derailleur chicomandell 16 17,537 Jun 23, 2014 04:17 AM
Last Post: cradom
  Front derailleur not shifting properly srixon 10 35,493 Jun 17, 2014 07:39 PM
Last Post: Palash
  Derailleur Houston96 1 505 Jun 13, 2014 06:28 AM
Last Post: painkiller
  Rear derailleur and chain issues rev2 2 678 Jun 6, 2014 08:25 AM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Problem with front deraileur alexwang32 10 1,449 May 20, 2014 04:28 AM
Last Post: alexwang32
  New rear derailleur trouble micbm84 3 942 Apr 28, 2014 11:15 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Trouble with chain & rear derailleur pulleys generic_cyclist 5 1,535 Apr 11, 2014 10:35 PM
Last Post: generic_cyclist