Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
To those with greater knowledge of tools
Can anyway give me a general list of tools needed for a beginner/advanced/expert bike repair person. I know opinions are varied I just don't know what is the best order (most important tools) to get first and what could possibly wait. Also this will help get informed with tools I haven't heard about that assist bicycle repairing. So for example wrenches (hand/socket) are needed first but a bike repair (or wheel truing stand) could wait.
Have you tried looking at the Park Tools web site. They have kits from starter to pro. And you can even get extra tools if needed. I don't do my own repair as of yet, but I do know the tool kit that I am going to get when I start fixing my own bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Giant
(06-16-2011, 03:26 PM)Rama Owhl Wrote:  Can anyway give me a general list of tools needed for a beginner/advanced/expert bike repair person. I know opinions are varied I just don't know what is the best order (most important tools) to get first and what could possibly wait. Also this will help get informed with tools I haven't heard about that assist bicycle repairing. So for example wrenches (hand/socket) are needed first but a bike repair (or wheel truing stand) could wait.

There is a tutorial on here called "Basic Bike Repair Tools" that would be of some help to you. It gives a nice overview of things a beginner should have. It definitely was a help to me awhile back. http://bicycletutor.com/basic-tools/
I know i want to get my tools from craftsman since they have lifetime warranty so just need to get the types/names down. I know they wont have bicycle specific ones but the more craftsman the better.
there are other brands with lifetime warranties......and many bike specific tools that Craftsman does not have.

The following is what I seem to use the most often:
* crank removal tool
* metric combination wrenches (open on one end, box (aka ring) at the other end) I have a set from Harbor Freight that is great, and about 1/10 the price of Craftsman. 10mm is the most common on my bikes,
* thin metric wrenches up to 34mm for heads from Amazon
* crescent wrench that opens to 1¾" also from Harbor Freight, Amazon has some too, but more expensive. Also used for headset.
* BB removal tools - vary by BB so only get ones that match the bottom brackets you have.
* cone wrenches for wheel bearings.
* metric allen keys; the folding sets are not very useful for working on a bike.
* flat and phillips screw drivers
* spoke wrench - one size fits all are crap, get really good ones to fit the spoke nipples that you use - another reason to standardize.
* freewheel tool
* heavy duty bench vice attached to a very heavy bench for use with the freewheel tool.
* chain whip (only needed for cassettes)
* 9/16" wrenches for the seat post bolt on my red bike.

I built my own truing stand and bike stand - very inexpensive, see my postings in the tools area.
Nigel
Here's my suggested list:

- a Park multi-tool can do wonders and cover tire levers
- tire levers if no multi-tool
- if you are going to do long rides frequently, a chain wear measurement tool could be secondary of priority
- a 4th hand is nice for pulling your cables tight
- I gave up on the multi-tool allen wrenches. I could never get enough strength to tighten things. Instead, I found allen wrench sockets to go on my socket wrench (Craftsman) that is ace.
- a tire pump
- a tire gauge
- mini chain tool (secondary)
- a pump (I recommend a Quickex) or CO2 system to take with you

At some point, if you continue to do a lot of work on your bike, a bike stand will be of value, especially if you adjust your rear derailleur - it will be much easier. Chain cleanings, replacements, handlebar wrapping, etc are easier.

I do have an almost everything Park set so far. Future tools will be Park as well. The Park sets as mentioned are of good value - in hindsight, I would have bought one of those when I started. I think that is the prize this month from Alex for a lucky video subscriber, no?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spin Doctor vs Nashbar Tools firestorm102389 5 6,112 08-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Lifetime Guarantee on tools surreypete 3 4,062 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: WabiFGSS
  Rare Tools Bill 9 9,949 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Got some tools in the mail today! Jordan300 68 43,178 07-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Jordan300
  Tools for the shop GeorgeET 12 12,438 02-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Bill