Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Is this rim compatible?
I was planning on getting a pair of wheels for my 12 speed Free Spirit 27x1 1/4 bike from around 1981.

I found these wheels.
Rear: http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Joytech-Weinmann-Freewheel-27-Inch/dp/B003RLHKQQ/

Front: http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Joytech-Weinmann-Nutted-27-Inch/dp/B003RLHKNO/

Here is my question: will the hubs on these wheels work with my 12 speed bike? It says 7 speed compatible, but is it compatible or can it be converted to be made compatible with my 12 speed freewheel?
Yes, it will work with your 6 speed freewheel. http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-MF-TZ20-Tourney-Freewheel-14-28T/dp/B001G0X2DA/

Do you know what brand of freewheel you currently have? Different brands require different tools for removal. A solid bench vise is also strongly recommended to hold the tool while removing the freewheel.

Before you install your freewheel, make sure to grease the threads with a water proof grease; I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease from Wal-mart.

You should have the wheels tensioned, trued and stress relieved; or you will have spoke failure. Machine built wheels are great starting points, but they need to be finished before you start riding on them.

Also the bearings may need re-greasing and adjustment.
Nigel
About how much would a new freewheel cost?
(06-13-2013, 09:32 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  About how much would a new freewheel cost?
click on the link in my post above.

The chain should also be replaced.
Nigel
Try this guy, he hand builds all of his wheels, & he makes them to fit your frame, bolted or quick release. His contact info is here.
A new freewheel & chain will run you about $25.
(06-14-2013, 04:13 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Try this guy, he hand builds all of his wheels, & he makes them to fit your frame, bolted or quick release. His contact info is here.
A new freewheel & chain will run you about $25.

Does his rims have the little "lip" for high pressure tires?
(06-16-2013, 02:02 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  Does his rims have the little "lip" for high pressure tires?

It is very very hard to find a rim nowadays without the lip.
Nigel
(06-16-2013, 02:02 PM)garrett01 Wrote:  Does his rims have the little "lip" for high pressure tires?

Yes. Seriously, call him, he's very helpful. He'll make exactly what you want. He can do a 36 spoke 126mm (silver freewheel hub, bolted or QR) 27 1/4" wheel no problem. Or a 7 speed 130mm cassette hub. Will your rear drop outs easily spread 4mm? Grab them & try, some, like my old touring bike, feel like cast iron & won't budge without a friggin' prybar, yours should spread OK.

I see what you mean, you can't see the lip in the picture, but it's there, you don't want more of the old straight wall rims. $40 + $15 shipping. His packaging is very good.
[Image: 5alm_top1rqr_126mm_cn14g.jpg]

Don't forget the rim tape (probably a buck at your LBS). If you pay a bit more, you can order a polished silver rim or even black (on a '80's bike, I don't think so).
I think the front hub has a little black logo, & the rear has little red writing.
By the way, how heavy are you? Under 200? I'm too heavy for most 27" wheels.

I like this tire for looks on an older bike. Panaracer Pasela. Go with the 27 x 1 1/4" for the rear. $25.
[Image: pcpas3-1.jpg]

If you want tough & a reflective strip for night visibility go with the Schwalbe Marathon at $42. I use these & keep 2 as a back up.

Possibly Related Threads...