Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Time to change rim?
Question to v-brake rim users: how do you tell that it's time to change a rim?
I noticed that my rear rim has become somewhat ineffective in recent days. I readjusted my not so old brake pads but no use. The brake lever is not hitting the grips. The bike is like 10 years old, although I used it roughly 5 years. Perhaps the brake-surface has worn-off for good.
Any thoughts on that?
Try to sand a bit your brake pads... They might be glazed... Is your rims alloys?? Carbon??
If the break pads are older than 5 or so years you should definitely replace them. They usually have a wear indicator (deep grooves), if those are gone: definitely replace (reminds me: need to check on my cross bike soon). Rims also have a wear indicator (though I have not yet seen a rim that had been worn down to the indicator), also check this.
There are several companies offering different types of brake pads, I personally like the salmon-coloured ones by KoolStop for wet weather (though brake pad selection also depends on the rim material).
Very few rims have a specific "brake surface" that can wear off. The breaking surface on the rim is worn out when the metal has worn thin enough that there is a risk of the metal cracking/breaking. It's certainly possible you are at this point after 5 years of riding though that really depends on a lot of factors.

But poor braking performance is generally due to old brake pads, poor brake set up, splitting cables/housing, etc.
(07-27-2011, 09:20 AM)bobtravers Wrote:  Try to sand a bit your brake pads... They might be glazed... Is your rims alloys?? Carbon??

Definitely not carbon. They might be alloy.
They are called "Grand Rock".
(07-27-2011, 10:23 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  If the break pads are older than 5 or so years you should definitely replace them. They usually have a wear indicator (deep grooves), if those are gone: definitely replace (reminds me: need to check on my cross bike soon). Rims also have a wear indicator (though I have not yet seen a rim that had been worn down to the indicator), also check this.
There are several companies offering different types of brake pads, I personally like the salmon-coloured ones by KoolStop for wet weather (though brake pad selection also depends on the rim material).

How does this "wear indicator" look like? Do you have any pics?
I doubt very much you wore out a rim. Never seen that happen. But than I am not a pro racer.

No idea what is selling in Russia. Here in USA with parts and labor being expensive its usually cost effective and easier to just buy a new wheel. Unless yours is very special.

Sounds more like an adjustment issue. The front does more braking anyway. Something like 70/30.
Your brake lever at the handlebars should not hit the grips if it does you need to tighten cable.

Look at the post below , the notches/grooves in the pads are the wear indicators, I usually change pads when they wear about 1/2 way or so. If you still see lots of groves its OK.

http://www.bikestoreguys.com/product_list/57204.100753.496.100634.0/Brake_Parts_%26amp%3B_Shoes?gclid=CNyH6KikoqoCFcoc6wodMSFNXA
Never Give Up!!!
Sorry, I just asked the wrong question. I know what a wear indicator is (on brake pads).
I am told that there is some sort of wear indicator on a rim.
Here's some info on that: http://www.bikegallery.com/blog/2009/check-your-brake-pads-and-rims/

Here's a pic with a worn out rim: http://www.bikegallery.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/rim-wear1.jpg

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Last Post: JanJ

10-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Last Post: DaveM

01-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Bill