Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Frayed derailleur cable end
The metal cap at the end of my derailleur cable somehow came loose so now the cable end has unravelled into multiple strands. They are a cut hazard and look ugly. Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix.
Replace the cable.  
Nigel
The cable is fine, only the 2-inch excess after the pinchbolt is the problem for now. So just twisted it with pliers and applied some epoxy to hopefully prevent it from unravelling again.
(02-16-2015, 01:09 AM)barney Wrote:  The cable is fine, only the 2-inch excess after the pinchbolt is the problem for now. So just twisted it with pliers and applied some epoxy to hopefully prevent it from unravelling again.

At any bike shop you can get the new end caps to go over the frayed wires.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
Thanks.
(02-16-2015, 01:09 AM)barney Wrote:  The cable is fine, only the 2-inch excess after the pinchbolt is the problem for now. So just twisted it with pliers and applied some epoxy to hopefully prevent it from unravelling again.

I've got to agree with Nigel.  Other fixes will soon come apart and you'll end up changing the cable anyway.  They are inexpensive & with a new cap on the end, you'll be set for a spell.  

Bud

Possibly Related Threads...