Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Frame building jig.
Just thought I'd share some pics of the frame building jig I'm going to making from 80/20. I got the idea from the instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-simplest-bicycle-framebuilding-jig-I-could-com/

So I thought I'd do a mock in google sketchup, so I'd know what I'd need before I build it.

Enjoy.

1st pic: Overall look
2nd pic: Angle gauge for seatpost and headtube
3rd pic: Dropout holder (Actually a fake hub for the back of a pickup I have lying around.
4th pic: Bottom Bracket Shell Holder
5th pic: Head Tube Holder
6th pic: Seat Tube Holder

*edit* sorry. I changed the BB Shell Holder after I exported the original. That's why its different.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I guess no one likes it.Smile
No don't say that, it is actually a really cool invention!! I'm not that far into the mechanics parts yet, but I have this bookmarked Smile . Another application I see with this is for painting a frame or special detailing. From parts it is a wonderful invention!! Keep us updated! Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Yeah it's really cool... nice work using google sketchup, hope to see more!
ah..I worked on it a bit more. I included a laser guide as well.
Hm, now I just need to learn how to solder or weld (I'd like to build lugged steel, just 'cause I like the look). Alas, I don't have the time, too many hobbies already...
(02-21-2010, 02:51 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Hm, now I just need to learn how to solder or weld (I'd like to build lugged steel, just 'cause I like the look). Alas, I don't have the time, too many hobbies already...

I'm actually modeling a wooden jig, since I'll be making all my frames from carbon fiber, so I don't need to worry about the jig catching fire. It'll be even cheaper too. I'll post a pic of that one in a few minutes.
I just downloaded and started to use the Google Sketchup program. Wow for a free program it is pretty awesome. Tell the truth I'm not the Martha Stewart of 3d-mods but this programs makes a snap! Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I ditched the wooden jig idea. Not a good material when every measurement needs to be precise.

Back to 80/20.

*edit* Yup, sketchup has a learning curve, but its not bad. I think its quite easy.
Wow, that looks great! You wouldn't have any interest in sharing that sketchup file, would you? I'd like to try a few differences, and that would be awesome if I didn't have to start all over.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

07-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Bill

06-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Last Post: trevgbb